- While our summer weather is beautiful, some days it rains! Here are some suggestions on what to do when you’d rather be indoors.
- Go Shopping! There are numerous gift and specialty shops in Pittsburg and our surrounding area. From the center of town to First Lake spots to shop include the General Store in downtown Pittsurg, Moose Landing located across from the Lake Francis Boat launch, Angwin’s Camp Driftwood has a gift shop, next is Lakeshore Crafts at the corner of Beach Rd and Rte 3. Venture down Beach Rd to the gift shop at Tall Timber Lodge then continue north on 3 to visit Young’s Store, the gift shop at the Cabins at Lopstick and finally Treats and Treasures conveniently located next to Moose Alley Cones!
- Play Pool! The Buck Rub Pizza Pub has a pool table and several video games. Order a pizza, a pitcher and have fun. 538-6935 Other places to play pool include the Indian Stream Eatery, Rt. 3, Pittsburg 538-9996 and The Outback Pub, Rt.3 , West Stewartstown 246-7265
- Go Bowling! Head down to Spare Time Pizza, located on Park Street(Rte 145) in Colebrook. This is a small, old fashioned bowling alley. It’s a great place for families and as the name says, they also sell pizza. 237-4533 Other bowling alleys; Wayne’s Lanes, Rt. 114 in Canaan, Vermont.
- Go for a Swim! The North Country Community Center, is open to the public and located on Recreation Center Road, in Colebrook just off Route 3. For a small fee you can take a dip in the Olympic size pool. There’s a kiddy pool also. 237-4019
- Read a Book! Memos of New Hampshire, office supply, on Main Street in Colebrook has some of the current best sellers and a great selection of books on the history of this area, hiking, nature, etc. 237-5705
- Go Antiquing! You can start your hunt at The General Store located on Main Street in Pittsburg. Next, travel south on Rt. 3 to L & L Riverside Inn and Antiques in Clarksville NH. In Colebrook you will find Hibbard’s Cupboard Antiques & Collectables located on Colby Street and Creative Natives on the Main St.
- Go to the Movies! The Rialto is the closest theater to Pittsburg located one hour and fifteen minutes south on Route 3 in Lancaster. The Rialto Theater is a small, quaint, old fashioned theater that will make you feel like you’ve gone back in time. For show times call- 788-2211 If you make the trip to Lancaster, be sure to stop in to Simon the Tanner on the Corner of Rt. 3 and Middle Street and the CMW Emporium, also on Middle Street. Two interesting stores!
- Get a Pedicure! Just For You Day Spa located in Colebrook, offers pedicures, facials and other treatments. 237-4077
- Work Out! The Bridge Street Gym and Fitness Center on Bridge Street in Colebrook has state of the art fitness equipment and a pool.
- Get a Massage! Kneading Knotts is located on Route 114, in Canaan, VT, specializing in Hot Stone Therapy. Visit the spas at The Mountain View Grand Resort and Spa in Whitefield.
- Check out Canada’s Magnetic Hill! Head to Chartierville, Quebec, the first town north of the Route 3 border crossing. At the bottom of the hill, you will see a sign with directions to stop your vehicle, put it in neutral, then release the brake and your vehicle will begin to travel UP hill. Iron ore in the ground? An optical illusion? You be the judge!
Rainy Day Activities
Category: Exploring Pittsburg